In the summer of 1913, the last
Habsburg Emperor made a state visit
to Pressburg – later, after The Treaty
of Versailles, renamed Bratislava.
One photograph shows his open carriage
stopped in front of the Pressburg Yeshiva,
whose students came from every part
of the Empire. Franz Josef leans forward
to speak to Rabbi Akiva Sofer,
whose great grandfather founded the school –
two dynasties talking briefly together.
During the rule of the Communist Party
most of the erstwhile Jewish quarter was razed
to build a four lane bridge across the Danube.