‘On the road to Chester, on the outskirts of Farndon, stands a monument to the late Major Barnston, raised in 1858 by his tenantry and friends. It consists of a grand obelisk, having at its base, four handsomely carved stone figures of recumbent lions.’
History of the County Palatine and City of Chester, George Ormerod, 2nd Edition 1882.
The lions, positioned north, south, east and west –
encompassing the, now reduced, estates–
are lying, on their tomb chests, heads on paws
as if asleep.